Understanding the difference between Internet, National and Personal Security
According to the Cambridge English dictionary, the word safety is a state in which one feels safe and not in danger or at risk. This definition is often confused with the word ‘security’. Security, however, is the prevention of malicious activities orchestrated by other individuals.
Understanding the various types of safety and security will help you control recognizable hazards and help mitigate the risks. These security tiers include internet, national and personal security to name a few.
Internet security is a division of computer safety. This branch specifically deals with all internet (online) based threats. These threats include website viruses, malware, data damage and unauthorised system access to name a few. The internet is an open computer network. It allows for free exchanges of both information and ideas. There has been a recent surge in online-based threats. This highlights the vulnerabilities of the digital space. It also emphasizes the inherent dangerous and unsafe nature of the internet.
Did you know that everything that we do on the internet ultimately leaves a digital footprint? Whenever we engage on the internet, from sending personal emails to splurging on online shopping sites, we are essentially divulging our personal data. This information is then sent into an ever-changing computer series and various network links. Hackers then intercept, retrieve this information and use it in tandem with various breaches.
Common internet security issues
· Hackers – Individuals that attempt to circumvent or breach internet security measures.
· Spyware – The aim of spyware is to obtain personal information. This starts with following individuals browsing habits. Spyware helps in targeted advertising efforts.
· Viruses – Viruses are specialised programmes that gain entry into unsuspecting individual’s computers. Their foothold in the system either corrupts or destroys data and damages the machine.
· Phishing – Traditionally this is when data is acquired, mostly credit card details, bank account information etc. for financial gains or to commit identity theft.
· Online identity theft – Stealing the identity of an individual over the internet for personal gains, particularly that of financial motive.
· Worms – Worms are self-replicating malicious malware that spread through your network, that spread copies of your computer across the internet.
· Spam – Unsolicited messages that are sent via the internet. Some of which are embedded with malware.
Means of protection
· Bot protection
· Memory firewalls
National security is a state requirement. It entails ensuring the survival of the nation. Protection strategies employ tactical efforts within branches of government. This to ensure the protection of society. This includes diplomacy efforts to economic interests, political maintenance and power projections etc. National security looks to examine all potential threats, their prevention and contingency plans for future use. Essentially, this form of protection is the ability for a nation to protect itself, and its citizens, from external threats.
National security subdivisions
· Economic – Ensuring the financial strength and stability of a nation.
· Territorial – Protecting the physical boundaries and borders of a country.
· Physical – Minimising injuries, chronic illnesses and death caused being national disasters or pandemics
· Ecological – Preventing environmental damage.
· Political and social – Mitigating violations of the law.
Means of protection
· Diplomacy used to isolate threats and rally allies.
· Stimulation of economic efforts through job creations, industry expansion, international relations etc.
· Maintaining substantial armed forces.
· Emergency preparation measures.
· Intelligence services.
· Implementing civil defence strategies.
Personal security pertains to the undisturbed enjoyment of man’s life, including body, reputation and health. It is essentially deterring all means of crime on an individual. At its most basic level, it entails following necessary tools, mindsets and abilities to ensure overall safety.
Personal protection “barriers” use the same procedural barriers as physical and technical barriers. The aim in this regard is to protect a house, company facility or person. Personal protection barriers may not be made of bricks, mortar or solid hardwood, but they are barriers just the same. Relinquishing those barriers, increases your vulnerability.
Personal protection barriers can include:
Maintaining a low profile
Avoiding fixed and predictable routines
Utilizing situational awareness training
Recovering from surprise and maintaining the initiative
Other barriers also include adopting a positive attitude towards these procedures. It also entails ensuring strong communication and being methodical and consistent at all times.
The prime goal of personal protection, is to utilise physical security methods to deflect criminal interest in an individual.
Types of personal security
·Sexual and physical attack
Means of protection
· Always remain aware and alert!
· Stay handsfree as carrying items make you a vulnerable target.
· Display confidence when walking around.
· Trust your instincts, that if your intuitive feeling tells you that something isn’t right, it probably isn’t.
Get in contact with Arcangel Protective Services to better increase your personal security.Prioritising your overall safety and security is of the utmost importance to us. Let us help decrease your vulnerability to external threats by clicking here and booking a consultation with our team of specialists.
#personalprotection #nationalsecurity #security #onlinescams #securetravel #arcangelprotectionservices #arcangel #ExecutiveProtection #dataprotection #privateprotection #safetyandsecurity #onlinesafety #internetsecurity #protectyourself